Friday, October 30

to facebook or not to be?

I jumped on the friendster bandwagon when I was in college. When myspace and later facebook entered the scene, I scoffed a younger generation for being so silly. I’ve simply never been one to want to live my life online (hence these fantastic and boredom-defying trips I take every so often). When Sarah set up a facebook account for me, I reluctantly agreed to maintain it, accepting friends, and every so often responding to messages. Still, I resisted: I would not update my profile. Though I occasionally replied to mail, I largely let it get lost in the shuffle. My pictures are out of date, and I’ve done nothing to search out long-lost roommates (though I’m happy some have found me).

So why this now-ubiquitous facebook commentary? I’ve decided to give in. I’ve come around to the reality show of the internet (though I hold fast to my snooty opinions on the television versions). I suppose I see the value now: people are easier to locate, and it’s easier to keep them apprised of my ever-changing life, as if many of them care. Hell, some of my friends don’t seem to reply or even receive my emails, though facebook seems to do the job. I still don’t think I’ll ever get to the point of commenting/tweeting on my warm (not hot) morning shower or the color of my new socks (that reminds me, I should think about buying some new ones), but perhaps I’ll mention life’s bigger events. I mean those facebook addicts among you no disrespect, of course: I comment only on my own values; people should be products of their own values, not mine.

Shall we cut to the pragmatic part of this monologue? Answer the reader’s “so what does this mean to me?” It means I’ll make a real effort to reply to facebook messages, and treat them like members of my email box. It means I might actually seek out a long lost friend or two of my own (hello again). I’ll try to post some pictures worth looking at, and I’ve already linked up my blog so that those of you who can’t comfortably navigate away from facebook will be able to read it within your zone of comfort (this is beginning to read like new year’s resolutions). I still value personal notes and phone calls, though I’ve nearly given up hope on snail mail making a comeback. But mostly, I love being amongst my friends and family, especially cozied up to a domestic dining table drinking good wine and eating simple food.

So, be in touch, as will I. Find me on facebook (I remember back when I was the only Jonathan Nagar I could google—now I’ve found there are others, including one in the political battleground town of Scranton, PA), and if I know you, we will both expand our self-importance by having large numbers of friends in our profile. Best of all, why not drop by sometime with a bottle of wine and enjoy some home-cooked food? Or, I’m sure we could have a virtual dining experience online… LOL!

No comments: