Friday, May 4

obnoxious europeans?

Okay, another preachy rant.

I’ll be the first to bitch and moan about annoying locals while traveling. Sure, while travelling one is sure to run into scam artists and sleazebags, but the overarching generalizations I hear while travelling continue to amaze, dumbfound, and annoy me. I tell people I was in Germany, and they respond with whatever generalization they’ve decided applies to all its people. Some seem to assume I’ve had an awful time based on where I was. My experiences have been nothing short of amazing, though. In France, the supposed French snobs were nothing short of friendly. In Switzerland, the supposed stiff-necked Swiss at times almost smothered me with help and literally took me into their homes. In Germany, the supposed loud-mouthed fascists afforded me an absolutely amazing week of adventure and good times.

These generalizations should stay in the press and in off-color jokes. They shouldn’t make or break a vacation, and I just want to go on record to preach say that I certainly won’t let them dictate my travels.

No comments: