Tuesday, March 20

your opinion, please

Writing is a discipline. I worked with a great writer whose credo was "revise revise revise." I am used to editing, cutting out superfluous words and rearranging ideas for the sake of clarity. Though I recognize that blogging is different than the writing I am used to, I am often conflicted about posting such rough pieces for the sake of staying up-to-date. So here's where you come in, as I'm interested in what you have to say:

Do you prefer the rough, rather unedited pieces I have been posting heretofore? Or do you find that griminess overrated, and sometimes wish I had taken a red pen to some of these posts?

Granted, this is my blog, and I'm catering more to myself than to you. Still, I am interested in your opinions nonetheless, as I want to present you with great content you can stomach reading on a regular basis. Don't hold back. Anonymity is fine if you feel bad laying into me--just don't leave your name. But it would make me happy if you all commented on this one...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Blogging is different from other forms of writing... more of a journal than complete, self-contained essays. Yet at the same time you don't want to sacrifice quality too much. My advice is to publish your posts after giving them an initial edit. Then go back to them after a few days and re-read. At that point you will probably find some things to change. In the end I wouldn't let a drive for total perfection prevent you from publishing your posts.

Anonymous said...

I've always been one of those people who avoided blogs and chatting because of all the "LOL" and "OMG" and all the teenage drama that usually went with it. I come back to yours to check in on your updates because it's not the average blog (and i knew you, so when the blog stops, i'll assume you're dead!). Don't try too hard- you're not a robot. I like what you write; I say don't do too much editing. Don't take the emotion out of your stories.